College Financial Aid

College Financial Aid            

Financial Assistance Is Available

College Financial Aid - Guidance

Financial Aid and Scholarships have guidelines, rules, restrictions, and requirements. The amount of the award varies. For help understanding the application process, see the Mrs. Dotson in the Guidance Office.



Information On This Page

Assistance Guidance

SAT & ACT Scores



Federal Aid Programs

Selective Service

Loan Programs

State Aid Programs

MECC Financial Aid

UVA-WISE Financial Aid


Assistance By Guidance Central High School


Concerning any college admissions, financial aid, scholarships, or application information, if parents need to contact the Central High School Guidance Counselor Mrs. Karen Dotson, they may do so between 8:30 am and 4:00 pm by calling the Central High Office at (276) 328-8015.  

In addition you may e-mail  Mrs. Dotson at  or Mrs. Salyers at  


If you need any additional information, or have a question, please do not hesitate to contact Mrs. Dotson.

The guidance office has many of the application forms, packets, or information that you will need. If guidance does not have a copy of the colleges' or scholarship applications, they will be able to help you to find the contact information that you need. Guidance is not always permitted to distribute copies of a specific application. The college may prefer that you come in to their office or they may have an online application process.

Financial Aid Programs


Federal Aid Programs

ACG First and Second Year Grants - Student must be Pell eligible, a first or second year student, and have had a rigorous program of study in high school. An ACG grant does not have to be repaid.

Federal Work-Study Program - Allows a student to earn money to contribute toward educational expenses. You may work in an on or off campus job depending on the sites available. On average students are allowed to work 8 to 10 hours weekly.


Parent Loan - A loan program that is available to parents with a good credit history to supplement other financial aid sources and the amount they can afford to pay out of their available income. This loan has a fixed interest rate and repayment typically begins within 60 days of the date of the spring disbursement; however, parents can request interest only payments while the student is in school by contacting the lender. The amount that can be borrowed varies and is based on the cost of education.


Pell Grant - The Pell Grant program is administered by the Federal Government to students who demonstrate extreme financial need. Unlike a loan, a Pell Grant does not have to be repaid.


Perkins Loan - A college loan that is available through the college. Priority is given to students with exceptional need and who are Pell Grant recipients.


SEOG Grant Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant - For students with exceptional financial need. The program gives priority to Pell Grant recipients. SEOG funds do not have to be repaid.


Stafford Subsidized Loan - Federally subsidized, low interest loans made by a bank, credit union, or savings and loan and processed through the college. The loans are based on need and and you must begin to repay the loan within six months after leaving school. The interest is fixed.


Stafford Unsubsidized Loan - A loan program designed for students who do not qualify in whole or part for Federal Stafford Loan subsidies. You will be responsible for the interest during the school year. If the interest is not paid while attending school, the interest will accumulate and will be added to your principle, increasing the total amount you will be required to repay.


Teach Grant - Students must complete a FAFSA and plan to complete teaching coursework and teach in certain academic disciplines at a low income school. This is a grant which becomes a loan if requirements are not met.

Loan Programs

Loan Programs - All loans have to be repaid, but they provide a valuable source of money. Loans include the Stafford Guaranteed Student Loans up to $6,625 per year, Direct Plus Loans, and Perkins Loan Programs for up to $3,000 per year for undergraduate students and $5,000 per year for graduate students.


State Aid Programs

College Scholarship Assistance Program (CSAP Grant) This is a need-based grant to full-time students from Virginia and does not have to be repaid.

Commonwealth Grant (Comma Grant) Available to Virginia residents with demonstrated financial need. Students may receive assistance for up to 135 credit hours, including any transfer hours accepted. This award ranges from $1,750 to tuition and one-half required fees; it is renewable. Recipients of the Commonwealth Grant are not eligible for VGAP.


Virginia Guaranteed Assistance Program (VGAP Grant) Available to Virginia residents with demonstrated financial need and who graduate from a Virginia high school, and have an academic GPA of 2.5 or greater. The VGAP award ranges from $2,200 to tuition and required fees; it is renewable. Recipients of VGAP are not eligible for the Commonwealth Grant.


To receive student financial aid, you need to fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every school year. FAFSA on the Web allows you to complete and submit your financial aid application electronically. FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid.

Before filing an application students and parents apply for a FAFSA ID number prior to completing the online FAFSA application. If you have a FAFSA PIN you may link it to your account. However, the new FAFSA ID replaces the PIN.

After you have filed your FAFSA application, you will receive a letter. The Financial Aid Award Letter details your eligibility for student financial aid as determined by the information you submitted on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and/or applicable scholarship applications. 

Selective Service - Before any male student is allowed to file an application for college, he must first Register for Selective Service. All 18 year old males must register for the selective service in order to apply for financial aid for college. You may register at the Selective Service If you have not done so, you may not submit the FAFSA applications.

SAT and ACT Scores

Seniors that score less than 500 on the critical reading or math portion of the SAT I Reasoning test for college admissions may want to consider retaking the test for higher scores to ensure admission to the institution of their choosing. The higher the scores makes the student eligible for more academic scholarship money based on their SAT score and cumulative GPA. Each college and university has their own internal scholarship application which should be filled out after they apply and/or get accepted. This allows students to apply for many internal scholarships that are only available when attending that institution. Most college's general scholarship forms are available on the college's website. In addition, most colleges and universities have an online application process.

Mountain Empire Community College Financial Aid

Financial assistance is available to help students meet costs related to course work at MECC. Several grants, scholarships, and work programs help students meet a variety of expenses including tuition and fees, books, supplies, transportation, food, and other monthly expenses. To apply for financial aid you must follow certain steps to make sure that your application is considered for all types of aid. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid Web Worksheet available from your local high school, community college or area university. There is no fee to apply for federal need-based aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Online Admissions is available at the MECC Financial Aid web site.

UVA-Wise Financial Aid

More than 70 percent of our students qualify for some form of financial assistance. Once you have applied for financial aid, the UVA-Wise Office of Financial Aid will be able to begin helping you find the financial assistance or other payment options you need to obtain the education you desire. Student Aid Report (SAR), will indicate your "expected family contribution" (EFC), which is the amount you and your parents are expected to contribute to help meet your educational expenses. See the Financial Aid Process


Every year government and non-government organizations provide number of scholarships. Anyone can apply for these scholarships. Scholarships are awards and grants that you do not have to repay. Scholarships are usually based on the merit, financial requirement, and academic interests. Some of the different types of scholarships that you can apply for are:  

Artist or Performing Arts - grants, awards, and other programs are given in such fields as dance, film, arts, theater, and writing.

Athletic Scholarships – These scholarships are generally offered to star athletes who are recruited by the universities to represent their athletic team. Most of the athletes complete their higher education absolutely free. Normally, athletes receiving athletic scholarships are recruited by the scouts. If you are a talented athlete then these scholarships are automatically awarded to you.

Full or Partial Scholarships – Most of the people have an eye on this type of scholarship since they think it covers everything. If you are fortunate enough to get a full scholarship then it can cover almost everything from tuition fees to books and food to accommodation. However, some scholarships are offered partially which means they only cover tuition fees and books. When you are awarded a scholarship makes sure you make proper use of it.

Federal Grants - Pell Grants up to $2,700 per year for undergraduate students earning a bachelor's or professional degree, SEOG funds up to $4,000 per year/person, CWS funds even for part-time students.

Merit Based Scholarship – These scholarships are offered to those people who stand out in academics and on the basis of their academic accomplishment. This excellence can come in the form of GPA, SAT scores and so on. They are highly spirited and may be available in different forms.

Privately Sponsored funds - from foundations, corporations, unions, fraternal and religious organizations. Private Foundations provide funding through grants and scholarships for graduate, undergraduate students for both public and private schools. Some offer funds with no strings attached others offer matching fund basis.

Requirement Based Scholarship – This kind of scholarship is generally provided on the basis of financial requirement. These scholarships are specially designed to finance those students who are in need of financial assistance to complete their academic pursuits. The committee that offers these scholarships looking at various reasons of that students hardships such as number of siblings, their expenditure, the monthly income of their parents and their cost of living.

School Based Scholarships – Every school in America offers scholarships relevant to the university such as personal scholarships, individual name scholarships and donors. Sometimes you have to directly apply for this kind of scholarship and at times these scholarships are awarded to you.

State Grants - State grants and scholarships are available for the highest ranking high school students, students who are needy, deaf or blind students, and/or minorities. Most are based on need, grades and test scores.


Copyright © 2012. All Rights Reserved.